Property details


The Old Rectory dates back to 1840 when it was newly built on the site of a building believed to have dated back to 1615 from the discovery of a marriage stone discovered in the garden. As you would expect with such a historic residence, internally are beautiful period features, including double height ceilings, decorative ceiling roses, tall skirtings, etc. But looking closer the drawing room has an original example of Wedgewood Cornice/moulding, and Edinburgh-style marble fireplace, all the ground floor rooms retain their internal recessed shutters, the lower floor (undeveloped) is paved with original Flagstones. The 15 year restoration has ensured that the heritage and elegance of this great home if fully retained. On arrival the circular carriage driveway provides a sense of grandeur, to fully appreciate the rest of the property we highly recommend viewing.

Restored 4400sqft 8 bed residence
Fantastic period features
Convenient private location
Walled gardens with sunny aspect
Circular driveway plus rear drive
New detached Oak garaging
e and then was a new W BUILd Detached Georgian property previously the home of the local vicar for nearby St Lawrence church. The current owner has renovated and modernised including the wiring and plumbing to a good quality whilst retaining many period features. However, there is still room to put your own stamp on this impressive property by continuing the process. The house currently provides a delightful kitchen/breakfast room, 3 reception rooms plus study and eight bedrooms. The house has a long private driveway, away from main roads and a carriage driveway provides an additional parking area for ample cars. A large basement provides storage areas which could easily be converted to a gym or 2 gen integral flat.

Features

Grounnd Floor

Entrance Porch
Stone floor
Entrance Hall
13' 5" x 9' 2" (4.10m x 2.80m)
With oak flooring and staircase to first floor, doors to all principle rooms
Drawing Room
16' 1" x 15' 1" (4.90m x 4.60m)
Wood Flooring. Functional Edinburgh marble fireplace. High ceilings, fitted internal shutters
Sitting Room
20' 4" x 15' 1" (6.20m x 4.60m)
Pine fireplace, granite hearth, fitted internal shutters
Study
13' 5" x 9' 6" (4.10m x 2.90m)
Good size room with fitted shutters
Dining Room
15' 1" x 13' 5" (4.60m x 4.10m)
Wood Floor. Central fireplace with inset wood burning stove
Kitchen/Breakfast Room
16' 9" x 16' 5" (5.10m x 5.00m)
Extensive range of pine units. Farmhouse style kitchen with central AGA. Door to outside

Lower Floor

Store
12' 10" x 9' 6" (3.90m x 2.90m)
Exposed granite walls
Wine Cellar
North without windows. Exposed granite walls
Store Room
20' 4" x 15' 5" (6.20m x 4.70m)
Dual aspect South and West
Store Room
15' 5" x 15' 1" (4.70m x 4.60m)
Door to south plus window

First Floor

Master Bedroom
19' 4" x 15' 1" (5.90m x 4.60m)
With original features
Bedroom
15' 5" x 15' 1" (4.70m x 4.60m)
Cast Iron fireplace
Bedroom
15' 1" x 9' 6" (4.60m x 2.90m)
Window North
Bedroom
15' 1" x 8' 10" (4.60m x 2.70m)
Window North
Bathroom
8' 10" x 8' 10" (2.70m x 2.70m)
Amtico flooring. Suite of bath with shower over, W.C., wash hand basin and bidet
Utility Room
8' 10" x 7' 10" (2.70m x 2.40m)
Range of fitted units. Plumbed for washing machine and tumble dryer
Shower Room

Second Floor

Landing
26' 7" x 8' 10" (8.10m x 2.70m)
Large bright area with doors to 4 bedrooms
Bedroom
15' 9" x 10' 10" (4.80m x 3.30m)
West facing window
Bedroom
15' 9" x 10' 10" (4.80m x 3.30m)
West facing window
Bedroom
10' 10" x 10' 2" (3.30m x 3.10m)
East facing window
Bedroom
10' 10" x 10' 2" (3.30m x 3.10m)
East facing window

Exterior

Approach
The property has a long private driveway, partly shared with the new rectory. The drive branches off to a circular drive with central lawn.
Rear Garden
A walled garden to the South, with a further walled vegetable patch. Access to side/rear tradesmen's drive/entrance
Garage
Plans passed for detached oak framed double garage to be constructed prior to sale
Parking
Huge amount of parking

Services

Services
Mains drains, borehole water with treatment system, mains water possible. Oil fired central heating.

Directions

Directions
In St Lawrence Village, turn down Route de l'Eglise at the side of the church, immediately at the right hand turn, drive through pillars marked rectory.

Further Information

Extract from Old Jersey Houses Vol1 by Joan Stevens
'In the garden of the Rectory there is a large xcarved stone 3'1" x 12", bearing in the upper corners the grid of St Lawrence's martyrdom. It evidently must have associated with the church dedicated to him, and may have been a window head (lintel) or possibly the upper portion of the vanished piscine which would have been to the south of the main altar. If so, it is unlike any surviving piscine in other parish churches, but it bears some resemblance to the piscine in the Hamptonne Chapel in St. Lawrence's Church, which might have copied from it. Or it may be a window lintel from the Presbytére, the forerunner of the Rectory, which is likely to have been on the same site. Whatever its origin, it is beautifully carved, of undoubted antiquity, and certainly in some degree associated with St. Lawrence. There is also in the Rectory garden an early square marriage stone, bearing E B S 1615 E B D, in the lower right hand corner the date 1811 has been added. There is a formal flower carved after the early date. The marriage it records has not been identified, but Bisson and Badier are the most likely names for such initials in this parish.'
Feature write up by Collete Bisson
The JEP's Historical Buildings enthusiast, visited The Old Rectory for the October edition of Homelife. Here is the URL for the edition. http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/html5/reader/production/default.aspx?pubname=&edid=cbc15e2b-53a4-408b-8964-c3b3ab2a8044





 

© . All rights reserved. Driven by Dezrez: Estate Agent Software